Health‎ > ‎

Teenager’s stomach removed after ingesting liquid nitrogen cocktail

posted 8 Oct 2012, 10:28 by Mpelembe Admin   [ updated 8 Oct 2012, 10:29 ]

A teenager from Lancashire, England, had to have her stomach removed after ingesting a liquid nitrogen cocktail on her 18th birthday party. Liquid nitrogen has a boiling point of −196°C and a freezing point of −210°C. When infused into cocktails, the drinks become frozen before the nitrogen evaporates. However, ingesting drinks with unevaporated liquid nitrogen can cause serious damage to internal organs. In this case, the young woman’s stomach was perforated.

Next Media - Liquid nitrogen has a boiling point of −196 °C, and a freezing point of −210 °C.

When infused into drinks, the drink becomes frozen before the liquid nitrogen evaporates.

However, ingesting drinks with unevaporated liquid nitrogen can cause serious damage to internal organs such as the stomach.

SOURCES: BBC


Comments